Sometimes, you just need chocolate. And cake. And dried fruit. So why not just put them all together and make some tasty, grain-free and refined-sugar free chocolate cake bites? These are a little too dry for brownies, but make a very moist cake. You can serve it in small pieces, or double the recipe to make a two-layer cake, and frost it with some chocolate coconut cream frosting (recipe to come).
Chocolate Cake Bites
(grain-free, refined-sugar free, dairy-free, paleo)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup dates
- 3 Tbsp. liquid (I used water, but you can use any type of milk)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Warm liquid and soak dates in the liquid until they rehydrate.
- Drain the excess liquid.
- Add the hydrated dates to a food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Add coconut oil and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add cocoa powder and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Add eggs in one at a time, making sure to blend before adding another egg.
- Add baking soda and blend again.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Line a small loaf pan with parchment. Pour mixture into loaf pan and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, depending upon type of oven. Top of cake should be firm but not dry.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting and removing cake from pan.
- Try not to eat it all in one sitting 🙂